True Tales of Paranormal Encounters: My Haunted House



I inherited my house from my grandmother. I practically grew up in the house as it is right next door to my parents’ house. The land has been in my family since the 1940’s. As a young teen my mother lived in a small farmhouse on the land. My grandfather tore that house down and built the one I now live in.

Part of my house started as a building in Flint Park. To this day I have no idea which part. My grandfather purchased a structure from the park when they closed; he brought it here, put it on the basement foundation and used it as the starting point of the house and built around it.

I often wonder if the building from Flint Park is the source of the “experiences” we have but the one room that we think was the Flint Park building because of differences like electrical outlet placement, building materials, etc. is not the room where the majority of “paranormal activity” occurs.

The main area of activity is my grandmother’s old bedroom. I never remember her actually sleeping in it though. She would sleep in the living room. She seemed to avoid that room. The door was always shut and no one ever went in there.

When I moved in to the house that room became the nursery, first it was my oldest child’s room. Now that he’s an adult he has told me about his experiences in that room. Now in his 20s he falls asleep during horror movies. We joke that he has fear induced narcolepsy. I attribute this to him falling asleep afraid as a child. Now his normal reaction to fear is sleep. Odd I know, but it seems to fit.

When my daughter was born it became her room. And she never slept well in it. She constantly fussed and cried and wanted out of the room. Though sometimes the fussing wasn’t her. I would hear strange noises and crying through the baby monitors only to walk in and find her sound asleep. One night my husband heard a noise and walked in the room to find all the drawers on the dresser open, yet she was in her bed sound asleep and honestly she was still too small to have opened them all anyway. She couldn’t even reach the top drawer.

She would wake up a lot during the nights and want out of the crib and out that room. Once she big enough to get out of the crib or her toddler bed she would leave her room and crawl in bed with me or go to her big brother and crawl in bed with him. When we changed her to another room she was fine and slept in her own bed.

My youngest…he absolutely refused to have anything to do with that room- ever.

Now the room is my husband’s office and man cave and he’s had many strange experiences. Several times he has seen a dark figure walk through the room and stand by the window as if looking out. One night he had an entire conversation with a female teenager. That no one else could see. It could have been the Valium he was on. But the story spooked me because she was around the same age as our daughter and having a female “teen” ghost fit with the fact that several times I had heard a female sneeze and a young woman’s voice even though I was alone in the house.

My husband and oldest son have spotted a middle aged woman, with her hair in a bun, dressed in 1950s style business attire walk through the living room and vanish. This tends to happen around 7am on Saturday mornings. She seems to be on a loop and not sentient. I often wonder if she worked at Flint Park.

My husband and other males have also seen an old woman in the house. A couple of my daughter’s friends have asked her “who’s the old woman on the couch?” or “who’s that lady in the kitchen?”. I wonder if the old woman is my grandmother though the description of the woman doesn’t seem to fit my grandma but two psychics have said they feel her presence in the home protecting me.

There have been many other odd occurrences in house like the basement door that opens by itself, things always disappearing, and the music that you can hear in a distance but you can never quite make out the words or the tune. You can check every room in the house but never find the source of the music.

We’ve gotten used to the haunts and usually joke about them.

But a few incidents have shaken me up and they occurred in my bedroom. The one room in the house that has always been a safe haven for me, the room free of creepiness…until one night I was roused from sleep by the creaking of my floorboards. 

All around my bedroom the old floors creak when you walk on them. Even I have a hard time avoiding the creaky spots because they surround my bed.

I woke up to the sound of someone pacing back and forth at the end of my bed. I could tell the placement and movement of… the whatever it was- by the distinct creaks. I was paralyzed with fear. I knew no one could have been in my room. The door never opened. I immediately wake up when my door opens thanks to the loud scraping sound it makes (yes my old house is full of creaks and scrapes).

I laid there listening to the pacing movement. I tried to listen for anything else- breathing, a voice…but there was nothing. Finally I took a deep breath, gathered my courage and sat up with my eyes open ready to confront it. The sound abruptly stopped. And of course, nothing was there.

A few nights later I awoke to a strange sound. It was kind of a rattling, shaking noise. Non-stop. It just kept shaking. Finally I got up and turned my light on and began to search the room.

I found the sound. It was my bobble head turtle, Bob. His head was shaking like an invisible hand was shaking him at warp speed. Yet the rest of him was not moving. Nothing else was moving. Nothing in the room was rattling, vibrating or shaking. Just his head, moving extremely fast.

I stood there in shock and stared at him. Then I grabbed him and stopped his head from moving. I picked him up and looked at him. I shook him really fast. No matter what I did I could not make his head move like it had been. It seemed humanly impossible to replicate that movement.

I took Bob out of the room. He was banished. Now I find him in odd places, like under my desk, in my closet, under my bed. I have no idea where he is at this moment. Frankly I don’t care as long as his head never moves like that again.

I don’t know what or who was trying to get my attention that week, nor do I know why. I saged and salted my room and for a long time nothing else happened.

Then one night I was once again awoken by my creaking floor boards.

But this time something felt really off. For the first time I was really terrified of something in my home. This entity was not one of my normal spirits. I was going to turn my head and look but something stopped me. It felt like a hand on my forehead. It held me in place and covered my eyes. As if telling me, “No, don’t look.”

So I didn’t. I lay there, filled with terror, barely able to breathe until the pressure on my head was gone and the creaking of the floorboards stopped. The sinister feeling was gone. The room became calm and still. I opened my eyes and sat up. Nothing was there.

After that a thorough cleansing was performed on my room and I added protection crystals and symbols. A psychic came in and cleansed our entire house. Some strange things still occur but nothing sinister. We’re back to the normal benign spirits.




Haunted Flint
Haunted America Series
Roxanne Rhoads and Joe Schipani 

Publisher: The History Press

Release Date: September 2, 2019

ISBN-10: 1467143049
ISBN-13: 978-1467143042

Book Description:

Sinister Secrets in Flint’s History

Home to ancient burial grounds, unsolved murders, economic depression, and a water crisis, Flint emits an unholy energy rife with ghostly encounters.

Colonel Thomas Stockton’s ever vigilant ghost keeps a watchful eye over his family home at Spring Grove, where guests occasionally hear the thump of his heavy boots.

Restless spirits long separated from their graves lurk among the ancient stones in Avondale Cemetery.

Carriage maker W.A. Paterson’s spirit continuously wanders the halls of the Dryden Building, and something sinister and unnamed resides in a Knob Hill mansion waiting to prey on impressionable young men.

Join authors Roxanne Rhoads and Joe Schipani on a chilling tour of Flint’s most haunted locations.

Amazon    BN    Chapters    Book Depository    Arcadia Press     Goodreads
  

3 comments:

  1. That's so creepy! Having something hold your head so you couldn't move must have been terrifying!

    ReplyDelete