DIY Costume - Fortnite Skull Trooper


My youngest child waited until the last minute to decide he wanted to be Fortnite's Skull Trooper this past Halloween.

Skull Trooper Character in Fortnite

Of course Spirit Halloween was sold out and there was no way I was going to pay upwards of $100 for a cheaply made polyester and plastic costume on eBay that may or may not have been the actual licensed one that Spirit had been selling.

Spirit Halloween Costume


So I scrounged around to see what I could come up with for making a DIY Skull Trooper. 

Luckily we had an old skull mask in the Halloween boxes. 

I also found a black scarf, white hoodie, skeleton gloves ($1 from Dollar Tree- I buy several pair of their Halloween skeleton gloves every year), a pouch for his side that he put on a belt he had in his drawer.



I also found some dog tags with skulls on them leftover from one of my daughter's birthday parties many years ago. So I spray painted those silver.


I kept checking Spirit Halloween for Skull Trooper items because my son was heart set on having the actual Skull Trooper mask.

Towards the middle of October they finally got more masks in. I ordered one. Then the order was cancelled because they ran out. Then they got in a half costume- mask and muscle shirt. But I didn't trust it would come in since I had already had 3 orders cancelled by Spirit because they ran out of items.

So I kept looking for alternatives.

I found the skeleton suit at Wal-Mart for $5.

Then we borrowed a pair of military boots from a friend.


He was all set to wear the skull mask we had with his skeleton suit and a white hoodie underneath for Halloween ( though he wasn't happy about it) but thank the gods, the Spirit Halloween Skull Trooper mask was finally delivered. Two days before Halloween.


So this was his finished costume. He was super happy. He got to be Skull Trooper and received many high fives and compliments while out trick or treating.

Was mom happy? Eh. Not happy about paying $30+ for that mask.

Remember the old masks from the 80s? Brittle plastic that was easily crushed and broken?

Yeah, that's what this mask is like just with a cloth hood attached instead of painful elastic that usually broke in 2.4 seconds. 

The eye holes were tiny. I had to cut the holes bigger so he could even see out of them before going trick or treating.

But the fact that he was happy made it all worth while.



2 comments:

  1. I don't really know..well, anything about Fortnite, but judging from the reference photo you shared, your son's costume came out spooktacularly. Awesome effort for a last-minute throw-together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've become pretty adept at last minute DIY costumes. This guy is my third child, the other two are grown. So I've had over 25 years of limited budgets, changed minds and last minute decisions to test my costume creativity skills. :-)

      Delete